Two Year Master Class
A Home/Studio Study Course in Woven Fabric Design
AIM: To develop sensitivity to the elements involved in the design of a woven fabric. Students will be given projects practicing the technical and creative skills required for designing original and innovative woven fabrics.
It is tailored for weavers who wish to achieve a high level of sensitivity in all the elements of weave design, by participating in a comprehensive and structured programme of study.
Quarterly teaching sessions each year in Janet Phillips’ own studio in Somerset, followed by project-based briefs to complete at home for presentation at the following quarterly meeting.
After six years of teaching this course with 21 successful graduates, I have decided to postpone this intense but very exciting programme of study for a couple of years.
- Compile an historical and contemporary textile research portfolio using words and pictures.
- Produce sketchbook ideas and mood board inspirations.
- Create colour theory and yarn dyeing sample file.
- Collate a fibre and yarn sample file.
- Weave approximately 40 weave structure samples developing fabric designs using Plain Weave, Twills, Satin and Sateen, Extra weft, Extra warp, Warp dominant and Weft dominant structures.
- These fabrics will illustrate - Colour, Stripes, Textures, Blocks, Curves, Figurative and Two and Three-dimensional cloths.
- Produce two finished pieces suitable for Clothing Fabrics, Interior fabrics, Rugs, and/or Art Fabrics.
- Keep accurate design record sheets of Materials, Sett, Calculations, Weave, Threading and Lifting plans.
- Illustrate various fabric finishing techniques and product finishing techniques.
- Professional presentation of all the above components.
- Develop critical analysis and evaluation skills
The course will be covering designs requiring 4 and 8-shaft looms or more.
The Full Course Fee is £2,950
- A non-returnable deposit of £350 is required at registration
- The first fee payment of £1500 is due at the beginning of Year 1
- The second payment of £1100 is due at the beginning of Year 2
All materials supplied by Janet Phillips will be charged extra. All other materials supplied by student.
This is an opportunity to explore your own creative textile passions in a structured manner with expert guidance.
For further information and to discuss your personal requirements contact;Janet Phillips
37 Castle Street,
I just love my yarn file – it is like a sweety box
Joan Scriven, Surrey
Thank you for another inspirational five days .…. looking forward to all the homework and the next session.
Marilyn Burton, Bristol.
‘I hope that you have recovered from the very exciting and exhausting days of Session 6. It was another fantastic course pulling together so much that we have done, and encouraging us now to focus on designing for specific purposes
Sue Briggs, Taunton.